This Middle East-inspired stew is colorful in the bowl, low in fat and high in flavor. It’s great as a meatless main course, and also works as a side dish.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium Yellow Squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 2 15.5 oz. cans Chick Peas, drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can Stewed Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/8 cup Water
- 3/4 uncooked Couscous
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion, carrot and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and all ingredients through stewed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- While these ingredients simmer, prepare couscous. Boil water in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve stew over couscous.